we will be closed saturdays and sundays please call for same day delivery

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some questions and answers which we often deal with. If you have a question that is not covered here, please contact us.

What can I put in my skip?

Skips are used for the removal of non-hazardous waste such as building debris, household items and green waste etc. If you need to dispose of hazardous waste you need special permits and containers. It is illegal for you to mix hazardous waste with non-hazardous waste. You may also request skips for scrap metal. These are available at a minimal cost and sometimes, even for free, depending on transportation costs and the volume of metal contained.

What types of skips are there?

There are two types of skips - covered and open. Open skips are the most commonly used; however, covered skips, in which the contents are protected from weather conditions, can be arranged at extra cost.

What will happen to my waste?

Your waste will be processed at an authorised treatment facility according to all UK and EU legislation. If you require a detailed summary of what happens to your waste we can provide this information for a fee.

How full can I load my skip?

By law you MUST NOT over-fill your skip. To ensure the skip is safe to transport, you must ensure that it is not filled past the top of the sides. Over-filled skips will not be taken under any circumstances. If you are unsure YOU MUST ASK THE DRIVER before you start to fill your skip.

Where can I put my skip?

A skip can be placed anywhere on private property A skip can be placed anywhere on your private property provided that the driver can access the location when the skip wagon returns to collect it. You may NOT move a skip when it has been placed, or you may make it inaccessible. Always give clear instructions to the skip wagon driver when he arrives at your premises. If you want to place your skip on public land (i.e. the road or pathway) you will require a permit from your Local Authority. Reading Recycling can arrange this for you and any Local Authority charges will be added to your quote.

What skip size do I need?

This depends on the size and quantity of your waste. Skips are normally better suited to the removal of dense and heavy waste, but can of course be used for any legal waste items. Our skip size guide should be able to help you but if you’re still unsure please contact us.

What is regarded as Hazardous Waste?

Below is a list of our unnacepted and Hazardous waste. If you have any of these, please call us to arrange appropriate removal, as this will require a special license and type of waste removal solution. • Solvents • Corrosive liquid • Biological waste • Medical waste • Laboratory waste • Batteries • Aerosols • Gas canisters • Pesticides • Anti-freeze • Paint • Waste oils • Motor oils • Vehicle batteries • Vehicle wheels • Fire extinguishers • Florescent tubes and light bulbs • Televisions and computer monitors • Fridges • Asbestos • Plasterboard • Explosives

How wide does our driveway or entrance have to be?

As a guide we would ask for 9-10 feet width on the entrance to a driveway to allow the skip lorry to get in. However, it may be possible for the skip to be dropped onto the driveway from the entrance to the property.

Do I need to inform the council?

We would always recommend calling your local council and enquiring, giving them as much detail as possible. As a rule of thumb, you won't need to inform them - but if you need to leave your skip on a public highway (such as a sidewalk or street) you must obtain a permit. We can do this for you, if you inform us.

How long can we keep the skip for?

Reading Recycling will provide your skip for 2 weeks as a standard.Each additional day is charged at a further £5 +VAT.